We are currently stuck on SR-58 in California. They have closed the road because of snow (which in this case isn't even building up on the ground). Of course with this being the wonderful state of California, they tell you to find a detour and then shut down all the other roads in the area too. So it looks like we aren't going anywhere for now so I guess I'll cover road closures while I wait.
What to do when you face a Road Closure:
- Look for a detour ( let others know) , if there is none wait....
- Find out what is going on (either through other truckers, calling 511, checking the internet (search state 511) or asking someone else) and how long it will be before the road opens.
- If it's snowing hard put your chains on as soon as you can;
- if it's also snowing drive your truck back and forward every half hour so that it doesn't get stuck in the ice.
- If it's below zero put in your anti-gel agents.
- If it's windy and you are a flat bed driver check your load securement.
- Re-evaluate the hours on your log book for the next week if you are stuck for awhile.Be prepared to give out information to car drivers because they will often come by and ask.
- As a trucker you carry more supplies in your vehicle, so check if anyone needs anything around you (paper towels, soup, a blanket, snacks).
- Get comfortable.